Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What do you do?

I am a sleep talker.  I've been so since I was a child.  My mom used to get mad at us kids because we would all be talking at night and my mom thought we were talking to each other.  But after listening to our conversations she realized we were all sleep talkers.  My brother also would walk in his sleep so my mother put bells on all the doors so she would hear if one of us tried to leave the house while sleeping.  When I was in the military at 19 years old I was surprised to find out I murmur in my sleep with no distinguishable words.  I asked my mom and found out I had a long history of such talking.  I wasn't sure if I still had the same problem as an adult because I was abstinent and didn't sleep with anyone.  I knew I snored, especially if I wasn't on any allergy medication.  My husband recorded me one night after we got married, much to my annoyance, and let me listen to how loud I was.  I sort of sounded like my dad who snores really loudly.  I wasn't as loud as him but I was congested.  I had hoped I would stop snoring after I had septoplastic surgery which straightened out my deviated septum.  Alas, I have allergies which act much like a deviated septum.  Being pregnant I knew that allergy meds were likely out of the question but my allergies got so bad last month that I ended up getting very sick and came down with a nasty cold.  The doctors prescribed me allergy medication and I was able to recover.  I was very thankful as well as desperate when I couldn't sleep for 5 days straight because I'd stop breathing whenever I'd lay down.  It's almost been a month now that I've been on allergy medication.  I've stopped snoring but have started making noises at night with my vocal cords.  My husband is very annoyed but I can't help it.  I have no way of preventing it and no way of stopping it.  I'm hoping he will come to accept it but I have a feeling this is very very frustrating to him.  I feel bad during the day but when he tells me to stop at night I'm annoyed because I'm tired and he woke me up.   If only I didn't talk in my sleep.  I'm betting our children will talk too when they are old enough.  We'll see.

2 comments:

Cammie Diane said...

Has he tried ear plugs? My husband can't stand any noise at night and he sleeps with them in so we can have the windows open (and because he claims I snore!) and it's worked pretty well so far!

Jana said...

Yep, he uses ear plugs but says they are not effective in blocking out the noise. When I snored he said I would shake the bed. You just can't win with some people. I hope he can learn to live with it especially now that we will be having a little one in our lives very soon.