Monday, August 9, 2010

Hurray, I finished!

For years now I've had several projects on hold.  They've been haunting me every time I go to work on a new project.  But on Saturday, I finished a lot of projects. 

For my two sister-in-law birthdays and my mom's birthday I've been working on some hand crafted projects.  I can't reveal what they are yet because the birthdays haven't arrived.  Anyways, one of them I've been working on for 5 years.  I just didn't know until this year that it would be for my sister-in-law.  All three projects have been finished and I can't wait for their birthday's to roll around so I can shower them with my love. 

One of the other 5 year projects that I got finished were my master bedroom curtains.  Yes, they've been hanging up this whole time but one of the panels didn't have a dark sheet sewn to the back side (so it would let in the light a little bit).  I'm sure having light come into your bedroom in the middle of the night because of a street lamp is no big deal for most of the people I know, but I grew up in a rural area where it was really really dark outside.  The only time I would close my blinds was when the moon was full.  With the curtains I got the brilliant idea to take flat sheets ($3 at Wal-mart) in black and sew it to the back side of some curtains I had on hand.  This was a lot cheaper than buying blackout curtains (which I do have but aren't enough to block the light). 

I also installed curtain rods in my kitchen and put up bistro curtains.  It looks much more complete.  I needed to cut about 18 inches off the bottom panel so they wouldn't drag on the counter-top.  More sewing!  And ironing.  I love my iron.  It makes sewing so much easier and I don't have to use pins half the time. 

The only curtain projects left to finish are in the front room where I have 2 windows.  I haven't decided what curtains to hang on the big one but the skinny window has a curtain, I just need to cut it down and sew it because it's too long at the moment. 

One other sewing project to finish that I started 2 years ago is a quilt top that I made.  I still have to make a backing and sandwich it with batting.  Then I'm going to hand sew it together because of the pattern I created.  It would look quite awful with machine sewing. 

I'm also going to start a few more sewing projects for Christmas and I hope I get them finished before the baby comes because I won't have any time on my hands after that.  We'll see how things turn out.  At least the quilt top that I started can be put on the back burner at any time since it's not for anyone, just me.  :)

No comments: