Sunday, August 29, 2010

Lovely weekend...

We've been busy over here.  I've had the fortune to be off all this past week taking a vacation from work.  I loved every minute of it.  The best part was taking a nap whenever I wanted to.  Boy did I need it.  I've gotten into a sort of routine that around 1 or 2 pm I crash and sleep for about an hour.  My doctor says my body is prepping for when the baby is born and I'm up at all hours of the night.  Speaking of sleep, I tried unsuccessfully to sleep on the couch last night but I couldn't get comfortable at all.  Usually the bed is hard to sleep in but ever since we got a really nice memory foam mattress pad (3 inches thick!) I've become accustomed to it.  It doesn't stop me from tossing and turning but it does help my back from hurting. 

My husband took Thursday off and he had Furlough Friday.  He spent most of Thursday with his brother trying to figure out how to install crown molding.  Once they got the angles right it was really easy to put up and while at first my husband said, "never again", when reviewing house projects it ended up being the least difficult so it got transferred to the maybe do again list.  Things we will never do again by ourselves: Tile a kitchen counter-top, hang a door (frame and all), re-texture a room and ceiling, scrape popcorn from the ceiling (this one is a maybe we'll do it again).  Painting is pretty easy, tiling floors (sometimes easy), baseboards, light fixtures, etc.  I think we'll do all of these again. 

Friday ended up being a day to finish up putting in the baseboards and putty and caulk.  My poor husband had a horrible cramp in his whole arm from trying to get the caulking done.  But he ran out of caulking so I ran to the local home improvement store the next morning at around 8am for more.  Saturday he finished the caulking and started painting.  Painting has continued through today and will be continued for many more days because we have different colors and types of paint that need to go up on the wall where the crown molding and baseboards are touching. 

I have been at my command post on the couch and puttering around the kitchen because of the intense fumes from both the caulking and the paint.  We were lucky that this weekend has been very cool for August (only in the 70s at the most).  All the windows have been kept open and the air conditioner has been off.  So nice!  I love it when cooler weather comes in.  Anyways, I've been making socks (knitted) and planning out Christmas gifts I want to make for my two nieces.  I think I have the perfect gifts that they will hopefully keep for years and years.  The socks are for me but my husband tried to appropriate them for himself, even though they were green and he doesn't like green.  Plus they were too small for him.  I'm going to make him some purple ones...eventually. 

Tomorrow I return to work...sigh.  I can't wait until I'm far enough along to take the time off.  I'll be uncomfortable in that I'll be in my own way all the time but blissfully happy that I don't have to abide by a work schedule other than what my husband and I decide on.  I'm 28 weeks pregnant and wishing I were off from work permanently. 

No comments: