Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tired slow day

I ended up not going to work today because I was just so tired.  I could barely keep my eyes open.  Is this supposed to happen when you are in your 2nd trimester?  I'm thinking it was because our little guy was waking me up through the night with his kicking.  Oh, and then there was the neighbor playing his loud music at 4am (we share a wall!).  So, I called in sick and took a rest day.  Funny thing is is that I got some of my house clean.  It's been bugging me for a while so I decided my goal today would be to get the kitchen floor clean and work on the laundry.  That was it.  Nothing more. 

While not pregnant, this task takes me about 30 minutes.  Not so today.  I put the dishes away and then took a little nap.  Then I cleared the counters and took a little nap.  I took the chairs and stools out and took a little nap.  I swept the floors and then got something to eat for lunch.  Once I had lunch I suddenly had much more energy.  I cleaned the kitchen counters, washed the floors and scrubbed the sink.  Took a little break then dusted the furniture that would go back into the dining room.  I also changed the table cloth but after looking at it on the table all wrinkly I just couldn't stand it and got out the iron.  Yes, ironing takes a while.  The table cloth took about 30 minutes to iron but it looks so pretty now.  I'm glad I took the time. 

So, this strange cleaning schedule has me thinking that I need to only do one big thing a day so I don't wipe myself out and that task gets done thoroughly.  I always wondered why people would say "Wash on Monday, Iron on Tuesday, Bake on Wednesday, Brew on Thursday, Churn on Friday, Mend on Saturday, go to church on Sunday".  I wondered why people couldn't just do everything in one day?  In our instant gratification culture, doing everything at once and play the rest of the time makes sense.  But from the viewpoint of doing your best and enjoying cleaning, only doing one major project a day is much more logical.  If I sweep too fast, I don't get all the little pieces of dirt that I end up stepping on later.  If I do a quick wipe down, I usually miss the drip on the wall behind the garbage can.  Spiders spin their webs where I cannot see and later I put my hand through them when I go to pick up a rarely used object.  And all these little things that don't seem that important build up into a very dirty house.  It makes my skin crawl when I know my house has not been thoroughly cleaned from top to bottom.  It's what gives me spring fever for cleaning. 

If you're pregnant or have a little one you really need to pace yourself in getting the house clean.  You cannot get everything done in one go.  When you're pregnant you wear out easily and you're limited on the weight lifting side.  When you've got a little one, they need attention too.  I want to enjoy my motherhood and my home-keeping.  I'll take things a little at a time and be happy with what I've done.  Right now, I'll enjoy my clean kitchen floor. 

1 comment:

jewels said...

I know what you mean. I've been tired lately too only I can't call in sick, I still have to take care of Sarah and the house. I only wish I could take a nap. Maybe when school starts I can take a nap.