Friday, July 16, 2010

A Happy Day

My day didn't start out all that happy.  I was behind in my work by a day and a half because I called in sick and it was Friday which gives you a bogged down feeling because you're almost at the weekend but you're not there yet.  I worked on little things and got up often, which was nice because it kept my back from hurting.  If I sit too long I get back pain and standing up makes my hips feel like they've splayed out (which they may have from the relaxin in my system). 

Just after lunch I decided to check the news because my husband said a ruling would be made about state workers going to minimum wage.  Living in California we run the risk of a budget not being passed each year and state workers can be effected by it rather than the Legislature who is supposed to pass the budget.  We get tired of this argument we get annually but there is not much we can do about it.  Because my husband is a state worker he was told by his boss that everyone including my husband would be making Federal minimum wage starting in July until a budget was passed.  My husband and I became quite irritable over this.  While we have two incomes, we've only been living on one income and putting the 2nd income in savings.  This was to prepare us for when I will give up work to care for the home and family.  So, his going to minimum wage wasn't going to effect us very much other than to be very inconvenient. 

Joy met my eyes when I found the news article stating that the Governor couldn't force the State Controller to pay out minimum wage.  For the time being my husband will make his full wage until September, at which time hopefully they will have passed the budget.  I ended up spending the rest of the day in a very joyful mood.  I could barely contain my happiness, which led me to realize I was very upset over the minimum wage thing. 

No comments: