Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Busy Work

Today I finally finished my chore list.  It was grueling and exhausting for someone who is pregnant.  Yet, it feels great to have a clean home that I wouldn't mind having family or friends over to visit.  The only thing that is left to do is finish painting the baby room which is my husband's job since it involves paint fumes and he doesn't want me near it.  I don't blame him, especially after he read me the warning label. 

I don't mind in the least doing chores around the house.  It's good for me, especially now that I'm pregnant and in the third trimester.  I was listening to a good podcast called Pregtastic and in one of their early episodes a doctor or midwife was talking about complications during labor, especially the type like the baby being breached.  In the olden days they didn't have the issue of breached babies very often.  It happened occasionally but not to the degree that we have today.  Around the 32 week of a pregnancy the baby is supposed to flip around and settle their head in your pelvis.  This wasn't a problem for mothers 100 years ago because with all the house cleaning and work that they did on a regular basis would have their bodies moving the baby into position.  With our culture today, we sit most of the time.  This is not helpful for the baby.  I guess depending on the job you have you might be able to achieve a similar result but I prefer the atmosphere of home.  Here I can work and take breaks as much as I want.  I can take a nap or get down on my hands and knees and scrub the shower floor.  I don't have anyone breathing down my neck to get something done or to fill a quota.  My job is to be here at home creating a home.  That means it's at my pace and that of my family. 

Even though it's been less than a week since I've had the opportunity to stay home permanently, I am finding it especially rewarding.  There are things I don't want to get to but will have to, eventually.  I'm so excited to put my home in order, move about without people criticizing me (like coworkers who wonder why you need to go to the bathroom so much), and create.  I wish more people had this opportunity or recognized they have this opportunity if only they would look at it that way and give up a little.  We live in an incredibly wealthy society and if a family in India can live on pennies a day, I most certainly can live with my husband and family on only one income. 

No comments: