Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Defining Success

I've been thinking a lot about how I would define success.  It seems so important this day and age to be, "successful".  I find it to be an annoying term but I think I'll just play along and see what comes out here as I write.

1.  Living within our means.  Yes, we have credit cards, but we pay them off every month.  We also have savings to help us with future projects, plans and problems. 

2.  A home to live in.  Right now I own a duplex that I bought 8 years ago.  We'd like to eventually sell it when the market goes higher than what I bought it at and then buy a place that has room for a family.  Two bedrooms is great for a starter family but I'm not hankering after a life of cramped quarters and shared walls with neighbors. 

3.  A stable job.  My husband has a fantastic job with the government and providing they don't lay him off due to budget cuts, unlikely but possible, we'll be in a good position years down the road when he'd like to retire. 

4.  A loving family.  Having children, regardless of how many, that love each other, look after one another, and most importantly love God and are true to their faith. 

5.  A devout religious life.  This won't always be easy but with good training for our children and a seriousness when believing in God will go a long way towards paving that path.  Being true to our Catholic faith will also be very important and trust that the Catholic church will lead us to Heaven. 

This list is interesting because I tried not to put in materialistic things like a giant flat screen TV or owning all of my favorite movies on DVD.  Those things will change and I need to remember what the basics of my standards are.  I can live on clothing from Goodwill, buy food economically, and not drive wherever I feel like it (I've got shoes that can take me to more places than a car).  I hope and pray that our children will be able to take that which we find important in our lives and bring it to theirs and their future children.  I also hope and pray that we can follow God to wherever he leads even if it seems to be impossible or inconvenient at the time. 

No comments: